Whitey Bulger's girlfriend won't testify against him
BOSTON (KABC) -- The longtime girlfriend of reputed mobster James "Whitey" Bulger will not testify against him at trial.
Prosecutors say Catherine Greig, 60, will plead guilty to helping Bulger evade capture for more than 16 years after he fled Boston.
Bulger, 82, headed the notorious Winter Hill Gang and was a top-echelon FBI informant who ratted out the rival New England Mafia. His former FBI handler, John Connolly Jr., was convicted for warning him that he was about to be indicted, prompting him to flee Boston in late 1994.
Bulger is charged with participating in 19 murders. He has pleaded not guilty. Greig, who was arrested with Bulger in Santa Monica last June, is charged with conspiracy to harbor a fugitive and identity fraud.
Families of Bulger's victims say Greig could face as few as 32 months in prison.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
arrest, court case, national news
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report