Whitey Bulger's girlfriend won't testify against him
BOSTON (KABC) -- The longtime girlfriend of reputed mobster James "Whitey" Bulger will not testify against him at trial.
Prosecutors say Catherine Greig, 60, will plead guilty to helping Bulger evade capture for more than 16 years after he fled Boston.
Bulger, 82, headed the notorious Winter Hill Gang and was a top-echelon FBI informant who ratted out the rival New England Mafia. His former FBI handler, John Connolly Jr., was convicted for warning him that he was about to be indicted, prompting him to flee Boston in late 1994.
Bulger is charged with participating in 19 murders. He has pleaded not guilty. Greig, who was arrested with Bulger in Santa Monica last June, is charged with conspiracy to harbor a fugitive and identity fraud.
Families of Bulger's victims say Greig could face as few as 32 months in prison.
The Associated Press contributed to this story
arrest, court case, national news
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court 42 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup
- Indio High student diagnosed with tuberculosis 6 min ago
- Baldwin Village fire likely sparked by candle
- Abducted Palmdale children found safe 22 min ago
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors 7 min ago
- NFL fines Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $100,000 55 min ago
- 'Curb Appeal' co-host killed in SF crash
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film