Mega Millions jackpot is 3rd largest ever at $363 million
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- The estimated jackpot for Tuesday's multi-state Mega Millions lottery is $363 million, the third largest in the history of the game, which started in 1996.
The estimated cash option for the draw is $259.8 million. The retailer who sells the jackpot-winning ticket will receive the maximum bonus of $1 million.
Tickets will be sold until 7:45 p.m. for the 8 p.m. drawing.
One 7-Eleven store in Montebello recently sold a winning ticket worth nearly $260,000. While it doesn't compare to winning $363 million, the store's business was booming Tuesday.
"Business is wild right now with the lottery," said store owner Byron Bennett. "Lines are out through the back of the store from 5:30 (in the morning) until 7:45 at night."
The odds of matching all five numbers and the Mega number is 1 in 175,711,536, according to Mega Millions officials. No tickets with all six numbers have been sold since the Jan. 24 drawing.
The only two larger jackpots in the lottery's history were $390 million in March 2007 and $380 million in January 2011. Mega Millions is played in 41 states, the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
City News Service contributed to this report.
lottery, national news, christina salvo
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 39 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought 22 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested
- Calif. bill would ban orcas in SeaWorld shows
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere