Mega Millions jackpot reaches $500M after no winner
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- With no Mega Millions jackpot winner Tuesday, lotto officials bumped the prize amount to an all-time record of $500 million for the next drawing.
The half-billion jackpot was announced Wednesday morning. If sales go well, that number can go up again to $525 million or even $550 million.
The winning numbers of Tuesday night's drawing were 9, 19, 34, 44, 51 and the Mega number was 24.
Forty-seven tickets had 5 of the 6 winning numbers. Each of those tickets is worth at least $250,000.
Five of those lucky people were from Southern California. Those tickets were sold at a 7-Eleven in Corona, a Unocal 76 station in Fontana, an Arco AM/PM in San Bernardino, Stopper Liquor in Placentia and Surf Liquor in Santa Monica.
Lotto buffs streamed into Surf Liquor Wednesday, hoping some of the store's good luck would rub off on them.
Lottery officials had placed the odds of winning Mega Millions at about 1 in 176 million. The retailer who sells the winning ticket will receive a maximum $1-million bonus.
The next drawing will be held on Friday.
lottery, national news, subha ravindhran
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Brush fire scorches 575 acres in Castaic area
- Toddler, mom robbed by knife-wielding man
- Suspect killed inside Alhambra PD station
- Purse found in search for missing woman in IE
- Hacienda Heights soldier killed on 1st Iraq tour
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Laguna Beach sexual assault suspect sought
- Calif. unemployment rate falls to 9 percent
- OJ Simpson knew buddies had guns - ex-lawyer
- Conn. commuter trains collide, 60 injured
- abcnews: Plane crash sole survivor breaks silence
- Michael Jackson death trial attorneys clash
- OTRC: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' movie review