Indiana bus driver saves kids from oncoming tornado
HENRYVILLE, Ind. (KABC) -- School bus driver Angel Perry did her best to sound calm as she faced an alarming situation. She was transporting 11 children home when a powerful tornado was quickly approaching.
As the skies darkened, Perry radioed a dispatcher.
"I stopped the bus for a second, put my hands down and said, 'Dear Lord, what do I do?'" Perry said.
Perry made a decision to turn the bus around and make the nearly 3-mile journey back to the school, though time was running out.
Perry counted the children onboard and told them to cover their heads as they travelled back to school.
"If you got a book to put over your head, do it," she told the children. "Get in the middle."
Finally, the bus pulled up to the school. Perry kept the kids together as they ran to safety.
Debris flew and lightning flashed. A surveillance camera inside the bus shows that moments later, the 18-ton bus moved across the parking lot, slammed into a car, then was lifted into the air and thrown into a diner across the street.
After listening to how Perry managed to keep herself under control and not frighten the children, it makes what she did even more heroic.
amazing video, tornado, national news, amy powell
- Palmdale boy, 8, may have been tortured 56 min ago
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent 56 min ago
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte 17 min ago
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa 18 min ago
- Local police officer accused of child molest
- Van Nuys stabbing victim's family speaks out
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Vote on gay Scouts comes at emotional moment
- Charles Ramsey promised free burgers for life
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal 38 min ago
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
47 min ago
- Pet of the week: Playful terrier-mix Bartleby
7 min ago