Los Angeles News
Trayvon Martin protesters march in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Protesters marched through the streets of Los Angeles on Sunday demanding justice for slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.
Martin, who was unarmed, was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in February. Zimmerman has claimed self-defense and has not been arrested.
The march began about 2 p.m. and ended with a rally in the Leimert Park area of the city.
The rally in Los Angeles was one of several taking place across the county. Political leaders, sport stars, entertainers and several thousand people rallied in Miami in support of Martin's parents. Basketball stars Alonzo Mourning and Isaiah Thomas, singers Chaka Khan and Betty Wright were among them.
Martin's father, Tracy Martin, says police need to make an arrest now.
"We know our kid's voice. We knew that. It's the Sanford Police Department that is in denial. Justice needs to be served," he said.
Zimmerman has been in hiding since the fatal shooting.
shooting, protest, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest 16 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- East LA chase reaches speeds close to 120 mph
- Fugitive child-abuse couple seen in Maywood
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty
- FBI busts international sports gambling ring
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Michael Jackson chef describes confrontation
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)
- California lawmakers, governor get pay raise
33 min ago