Los Angeles News
Trayvon Martin protesters march in LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Protesters marched through the streets of Los Angeles on Sunday demanding justice for slain Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.
Martin, who was unarmed, was shot and killed by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in February. Zimmerman has claimed self-defense and has not been arrested.
The march began about 2 p.m. and ended with a rally in the Leimert Park area of the city.
The rally in Los Angeles was one of several taking place across the county. Political leaders, sport stars, entertainers and several thousand people rallied in Miami in support of Martin's parents. Basketball stars Alonzo Mourning and Isaiah Thomas, singers Chaka Khan and Betty Wright were among them.
Martin's father, Tracy Martin, says police need to make an arrest now.
"We know our kid's voice. We knew that. It's the Sanford Police Department that is in denial. Justice needs to be served," he said.
Zimmerman has been in hiding since the fatal shooting.
shooting, protest, los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 15 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought 26 min ago
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere