George Zimmerman's bail hearing set for next week
SANFORD, Fla. (KABC) -- George Zimmerman, the Florida neighborhood watch volunteer accused in Trayvon Martin's death, will be back in court next Friday for a bail hearing.
Zimmerman, 28, made his first court appearance on Thursday. A judge determined there was enough evidence to proceed with the second-degree murder case in Martin's death.
He was arrested and charged with second-degree murder on Wednesday, 45 days after the shooting of the 17-year-old, who was unarmed. The case has sparked outrage across the country, many perceiving a lack of due process for the man who killed Martin.
ABC News reports that Zimmerman and his attorney plan on some sort of apology to the Martin family.
In court Thursday, Zimmerman did not enter a plea, although his attorney Mark O'Mara has previously said his client ultimately will plead not guilty. He will be able to enter a plea during his formal arraignment scheduled for May 29.
Zimmerman has maintained that he acted in self defense. His brother has told the media that Zimmerman thought he had to take Martin's life to save his own.
Zimmerman could face life in prison if convicted.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Body found in canyon ID'd as Maribel Ramos
- Castaic-area brush fire nears containment
- CA task force aims to control gun ownership
- Greuel, Garcetti vie for last-minute votes
- Oak Hills bust nets nearly 2K pot plants 33 min ago
- Suspect shot, hurt after aiming gun at police
- Crystal Cathedral congregation gets new name
- OC church burglary suspect in custody 25 min ago
- Frazier Park fire: Crews gain upper hand 26 min ago
- Tornado-ravaged Texas town to start recovery 20 min ago
- Plane lands on belly after having gear issues
- Connecticut commuter train crash: 70 injured
- abcnews: Flesh-eating bacteria survivor's bionic hands
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez debuts 'Live It Up' video