Nurse in Texas baby snatching had miscarried
SPRING, Texas (KABC) -- Authorities say a miscarriage may have driven a Texas nurse to snatch a newborn and shoot his mom to death.
Vera McClain, 30, is a registered nurse and mother of three children who apparently wanted to adopt a fourth. But instead of going through any legal process, police say McClain came to a pediatrician's office near Houston and snatched a three-day-old from another mother's arms.
"I saw a lady fall down here in the parking lot. I saw another lady get out," said witness Tia Collins.
Police called it the kind of attack you only expect to see on TV. Authorities say McClain signed an affidavit confessing that she kidnapped Keegan and shot his mom, 28-year-old Kala Golden, who was leaving a checkup with her son when she was gunned down outside a pediatric clinic near Houston.
McClain allegedly repeatedly shot Golden, took the baby and then drove away, according to witness accounts. The dying woman leaned into the vehicle and tried to take her baby back, but her attacker sped away.
The newborn baby was found unharmed Tuesday night at an apartment building nearby and has been reunited with his family.
McClain has been charged with capital murder and is being held without bond. It's possible another person who helped in the kidnapping could face the same charge.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, kidnap, national news, ellen leyva
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 55 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 5 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis