Nurse in Texas baby snatching had miscarried
SPRING, Texas (KABC) -- Authorities say a miscarriage may have driven a Texas nurse to snatch a newborn and shoot his mom to death.
Vera McClain, 30, is a registered nurse and mother of three children who apparently wanted to adopt a fourth. But instead of going through any legal process, police say McClain came to a pediatrician's office near Houston and snatched a three-day-old from another mother's arms.
"I saw a lady fall down here in the parking lot. I saw another lady get out," said witness Tia Collins.
Police called it the kind of attack you only expect to see on TV. Authorities say McClain signed an affidavit confessing that she kidnapped Keegan and shot his mom, 28-year-old Kala Golden, who was leaving a checkup with her son when she was gunned down outside a pediatric clinic near Houston.
McClain allegedly repeatedly shot Golden, took the baby and then drove away, according to witness accounts. The dying woman leaned into the vehicle and tried to take her baby back, but her attacker sped away.
The newborn baby was found unharmed Tuesday night at an apartment building nearby and has been reunited with his family.
McClain has been charged with capital murder and is being held without bond. It's possible another person who helped in the kidnapping could face the same charge.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, kidnap, national news, ellen leyva
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video