Texas baby abduction suspect appears in court
CONROE, Texas (KABC) -- A nurse accused of killing a Texas mother, then driving off with the woman's infant son made her first court appearance on Thursday.
Verna McClain told a judge she understands she is facing capital murder charges. She is being held without bond. A bond hearing is set for Monday.
Authorities say McClain had parked next to 28-year-old Kala Golden at a pediatric center 20 miles north of Houston. As Golden was placing her 3-day-old son Keegan Schuchardt into her pickup truck, McClain shot her, snatched the child from the truck and sped off.
The dying woman leaned into the vehicle and tried to take the boy back, screaming, "My baby!" Golden died at an area hospital. The infant was found safe hours later with McClain's sister. Keegan is back with family members.
Investigators said McClain, a 30-year-old mother of three, had suffered a miscarriage and was reportedly desperate to find a child.
McClain was appointed two state attorneys on Thursday - E. Tay Bond and Stephen Jackson. The attorneys told ABC News that they will be asking the judge to release their client on bond because of her children. The lawyers also said they do not believe this should be a death penalty case because their client does not pose a future threat, since they see the shooting as "an isolated incident."
The attorneys said McClain will be entering a not-guilty plea, and said her confession could have come through coercion or other circumstances. They said McClain is shaken and very upset over what happened and is on suicide watch.
ABC News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, kidnap, national news
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought 19 min ago
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 36 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis