Texas baby abduction suspect appears in court
CONROE, Texas (KABC) -- A nurse accused of killing a Texas mother, then driving off with the woman's infant son made her first court appearance on Thursday.
Verna McClain told a judge she understands she is facing capital murder charges. She is being held without bond. A bond hearing is set for Monday.
Authorities say McClain had parked next to 28-year-old Kala Golden at a pediatric center 20 miles north of Houston. As Golden was placing her 3-day-old son Keegan Schuchardt into her pickup truck, McClain shot her, snatched the child from the truck and sped off.
The dying woman leaned into the vehicle and tried to take the boy back, screaming, "My baby!" Golden died at an area hospital. The infant was found safe hours later with McClain's sister. Keegan is back with family members.
Investigators said McClain, a 30-year-old mother of three, had suffered a miscarriage and was reportedly desperate to find a child.
McClain was appointed two state attorneys on Thursday - E. Tay Bond and Stephen Jackson. The attorneys told ABC News that they will be asking the judge to release their client on bond because of her children. The lawyers also said they do not believe this should be a death penalty case because their client does not pose a future threat, since they see the shooting as "an isolated incident."
The attorneys said McClain will be entering a not-guilty plea, and said her confession could have come through coercion or other circumstances. They said McClain is shaken and very upset over what happened and is on suicide watch.
ABC News and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, kidnap, national news
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide 45 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- 'Octomom' pleads not guilty to 4th charge
- East LA coach pleads no contest to molest 5 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Crimea's parliament pushes for independence
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker