Emergency plane landing at JFK Airport forced by bird strike
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Delta Flight 1063 from JFK Airport to Los Angeles International Airport suffered a bird strike shortly after takeoff in New York, forcing an emergency landing.
The pilot reportedly announced at least one bird struck the plane. A passenger shot cellphone video showing several birds off the right wing of the plane.
The flight reportedly departed a few minutes late, about 3:10 p.m. ET. It returned to JFK for an emergency landing. There were 179 passengers and crew onboard.
Delta Air Lines released a statement Thursday afternoon:
"On takeoff the airplane had a likely bird strike, as a precaution, the captain elected to return to JFK. The flight landed without incident, and we're working on reaccomodating the passengers."
According to the Federal Aviation Administration, there have been 2,586 bird strikes at John F. Kennedy International Airport since January 1, 1990.
As the plane landed, passenger Grant Cardone decided to take a video of the Hudson River. But he had no idea he was actually about to capture. In his video, a flock of birds can clearly be seen heading for the plane's right wing.
"I just didn't know if they were gonna get digested through the system or not, and if the engine was gonna catch on fire," Cardone said. "I thought we were gonna roll over...I experienced a tremendous amount of turbulence and lurching up and down, and I thought we were gonna roll."
Cardone said it was a truly terrifying scene. He credits the pilot and the crew for being able to make it back safely to JFK Airport.
"Everybody got away with something today," he said.
airplane, airport news, faa, national news
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 24 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 56 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 40 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 53 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
41 min ago