National Teacher of the Year: Burbank teacher honored at White House
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- A Burbank middle school teacher was honored as the 2012 National Teacher of the Year on Tuesday.
Rebecca Mieliwocki, a seventh grade English at Luther Burbank Middle School, was honored by President Barack Obama during a ceremony at the White House. They were also joined by other winners of state teacher of the year awards.
Mr. Obama said Mieliwocki maintains "big expectations" for her class but remembers that "school should be fun." He also noted that she sends out weekly memos to parents and maintains a Facebook page for her class.
The award has many at her school excited.
"It's a once in a lifetime experience for us, for our kids, this will never happen again," said school principal Brian Oroake.
Mieliwocki's students say she is quite different from the other teachers. They love her for her fun teaching style, which includes playing music in class. As a self-proclaimed goofball, it's a side her students can relate to and a side she's not afraid to show.
"I have to say, she was a little goofy when I met her," said Mr. Obama, which elicited a roaring laugh from the crowd. "She was back there teasing me."
Despite receiving the nation's highest honor as an educator, Mieliwocki remains humble.
"I am not the best teacher in America," she said. "There isn't one. All across this nation there are millions of teachers who do the work that I do, and many do it better. But what I do have are some of the qualities that best teachers have. I have an absolute passion for my work."
Mielwocki has been teaching for 14 years, but originally set out to be a lawyer. She eventually followed in her parents' footsteps and began teaching.
Mieliwocki will finish out her year in the classroom and then take a leave of absence next year to become a national spokesperson for education.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
education, president barack obama, burbank, national news, christina salvo
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support 55 min ago
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)