George Zimmerman enters not guilty plea
SANFORD, Fla. (KABC) -- George Zimmerman entered a written plea of not guilty on Tuesday to second-degree murder charges in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin.
Zimmerman's attorneys requested that his appearance be waived at his arraignment, which had been scheduled for May 8.
Meanwhile, the police chief remains under scrutiny for not charging Zimmerman immediately after the unarmed teen's death. The lack of an arrest led to protests across the country and spurred a debate about race and laws of self defense. Zimmerman maintains that he acted in self defense.
Chief Bill Lee handed in his resignation on Monday, just hours after Zimmerman was released on bail, but Sanford city commissioners rejected the resignation.
"The city commission spoke," city manager Norton Bonaparte said. "They were not ready to have the resignation. So we'll move forward."
The commissioners said they wanted to wait for the results of a federal investigation to take action. The U.S. Department of Justice is expected to make a thorough analysis of the police department's handling of the Feb. 26 killing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Motorcycle officer struck by hit-run driver
- LAPD seeing fewer qualified applicants
- LA council OKs restrictions on e-cig sellers
- Cold front moving across Southern California 3 min ago
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- UCLA police seek sexual battery suspect
- Ventura growers protect crops from freezing
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film