Breastfeeding mom on Time Magazine cover speaks out
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- She's a young mom at the center of a national uproar seen on the cover of Time Magazine breastfeeding her 3-year-old son.
Jamie Grumet, 26, says that since the magazine cover premiered, she has seen an intense reaction and has even received death threats.
"The statement that I wanted to make was this is a normal option for your child and it should not be stigmatized," she said.
Grumet is part of the movement called attachment parenting, where mothers sleep in the same beds as their child and breastfeeding them as long a possible. The idea of attachment parenting was developed by Dr. Bill Sears. He wrote "The Baby Book," which is known as the bible for attachment parenting.
The L.A. mom says she was breastfed by her mother until she was 6, but for many parents, that goes too far.
"I find it inappropriate, I think that at that point they already know what they're doing, and they're gonna remember that," said Desiree David of Brea. "They might even have discussions with their friends and think that that's OK."
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least the first year of a child's life. While some question the nutrition and emotional value of extended breastfeeding, Grumet says mothers should do what feels right for them and their child.
"I'm never saying this is for everybody, but it should be something that's accepted," said Grumet.
national news, leanne suter
- 4 hospitalized in Fullerton bar stabbing 28 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Gorman brush fire near full containment
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Tustin theater evacuated for investigation
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Crime Stoppers director swallows evidence
1 min ago