Breastfeeding mom on Time Magazine cover speaks out
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- She's a young mom at the center of a national uproar seen on the cover of Time Magazine breastfeeding her 3-year-old son.
Jamie Grumet, 26, says that since the magazine cover premiered, she has seen an intense reaction and has even received death threats.
"The statement that I wanted to make was this is a normal option for your child and it should not be stigmatized," she said.
Grumet is part of the movement called attachment parenting, where mothers sleep in the same beds as their child and breastfeeding them as long a possible. The idea of attachment parenting was developed by Dr. Bill Sears. He wrote "The Baby Book," which is known as the bible for attachment parenting.
The L.A. mom says she was breastfed by her mother until she was 6, but for many parents, that goes too far.
"I find it inappropriate, I think that at that point they already know what they're doing, and they're gonna remember that," said Desiree David of Brea. "They might even have discussions with their friends and think that that's OK."
The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding for at least the first year of a child's life. While some question the nutrition and emotional value of extended breastfeeding, Grumet says mothers should do what feels right for them and their child.
"I'm never saying this is for everybody, but it should be something that's accepted," said Grumet.
national news, leanne suter
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case 43 min ago
- Fontana suspect escapes from police station
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Port Authority records tied to chair subpoenaed
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...