Etan Patz case: NYPD arrest Pedro Hernandez
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Etan Patz was one of the first missing children to appear on a milk carton. Almost 33 years to the day the 6 year old disappeared, his alleged killer has finally been arrested.
NYPD investigators say Pedro Hernandez gave very specific details about the murder and they feel confident he is the killer they have been looking for.
New York City Police say the 51-year-old Hernandez lured Patz into a corner store near the then-6 year old's bus stop by offering him a soda.
"He then led him in the basement of the bodega, choked him there and disposed of the body by putting it into a plastic bag and placing it in the trash," said Raymond Kelly, NYC Police commissioner.
Hernandez was a 19-year-old clerk at that store in 1979. Police finally zeroed in on him as a suspect after re-opening the cold case and digging up an apartment basement down the block from where Patz lived. They didn't find any evidence, but it prompted a relative to call with a key tip.
He spoke to one family member and to others in last 33 years about the fact that he's done something bad and "killed a child."
The married father was arrested at his New Jersey home. The motive for the murder remains a mystery.
The morning Patz vanished was the first morning his parents let him walk to the bus by himself. They never left the neighborhood after his disappearance. His father told ABC News just three years ago he and his wife always held out hope their little boy would come home.
"We didn't know what had happened to him, we didn't know where he might be, so of course the thought in the back of our minds was always that we should be here for him," said father Stan Patz.
Detectives say Hernandez, who is believed to have cancer, was remorseful and appeared to be relieved to finally tell his deadly secret.
new york, missing person, national news, leanne suter
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 16 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman 53 min ago
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged elder abuse
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- Search for Jimmy Hoffa yields nothing, again
- Aug. trial set for Ohio man in kidnap case
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- Baby bath seats recalled due to drowning fear
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)