Seattle shooting spree kills 6; manhunt over
SEATTLE (KABC) -- The suspected gunman in a deadly shooting spree in Seattle is dead, putting an end to a massive citywide manhunt.
It all started just before 11 a.m. Wednesday when police say 40-year-old Ian Stawicki walked into Cafe Racer, a restaurant and music venue north of the University of Washington.
Once inside, Stawicki reportedly opened fire, killing four people and injuring another.
About 30 minutes later, Stawicki made his way near town hall, fatally shot a woman in a parking lot and stole her SUV. Police located the car about a mile away, but it had been abandoned with a gun in the car.
As officers closed in during a widespread manhunt, the suspect put a gun to his head and pulled the trigger. He was rushed to Harborview Medical Center, where he later died.
It remains unclear what led to the shooting spree. However Stawicki's father said his son was a very private, disgruntled person who was a frequent customer at the coffee shop where the rampage began.
The five victims brought the number of homicides in Seattle so far this year to 21, matching the total for all of last year.
In the last month, there had already been two random killings. A man died last week when he was hit by a stray bullet as he drove, and a woman was killed in a drive-by shooting in late April. No arrests have been made.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Artesia hit-run accident leaves woman dead 26 min ago
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide