'Whitey' Bulger's girlfriend, Catherine Greig, faces 10 years prison
BOSTON (KABC) -- Federal prosecutors on Friday recommended that Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger's longtime girlfriend be sentenced to 10 years in prison for knowingly protecting one of the region's most violent criminals for more than 16 years.
In a sentencing memo filed in U.S. District Court, prosecutors said 61-year-old Catherine Greig hid Bulger's identity and handled the daily tasks necessary for them to keep a low-profile in Santa Monica, where they were captured last June living in an apartment.
Bulger, 82, was the leader of the notorious Winter Hill Gang. He was charged with participating in 19 murders and is awaiting trial.
Greig pleaded guilty to three charges in March and was scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday. She admitted using multiple aliases and obtaining Bulger's prescription medications by pretending to be his wife.
Although the charges carry a maximum of 15 years in prison, federal prosecutors had warned family members of the people Bulger is accused of murdering that she could get as little as 32 months under federal sentencing guidelines.
In their memo, prosecutors said Greig deserved a much longer prison term.The Associated Press contributed to this story
arrest, court case, national news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne 48 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case 39 min ago
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations 44 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Man convicted at 16 resentenced under new law
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds
- Tips on how to avoid Xmas holiday hazards
37 min ago