'Whitey' Bulger's girlfriend, Catherine Greig, faces 10 years prison
BOSTON (KABC) -- Federal prosecutors on Friday recommended that Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger's longtime girlfriend be sentenced to 10 years in prison for knowingly protecting one of the region's most violent criminals for more than 16 years.
In a sentencing memo filed in U.S. District Court, prosecutors said 61-year-old Catherine Greig hid Bulger's identity and handled the daily tasks necessary for them to keep a low-profile in Santa Monica, where they were captured last June living in an apartment.
Bulger, 82, was the leader of the notorious Winter Hill Gang. He was charged with participating in 19 murders and is awaiting trial.
Greig pleaded guilty to three charges in March and was scheduled to be sentenced Tuesday. She admitted using multiple aliases and obtaining Bulger's prescription medications by pretending to be his wife.
Although the charges carry a maximum of 15 years in prison, federal prosecutors had warned family members of the people Bulger is accused of murdering that she could get as little as 32 months under federal sentencing guidelines.
In their memo, prosecutors said Greig deserved a much longer prison term.The Associated Press contributed to this story
arrest, court case, national news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 59 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 9 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week 28 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour