NY surgeon in hospital shooting likely dead - police
BUFFALO, N.Y. (KABC) -- The manhunt is over for the surgeon suspected of gunning down his ex-girlfriend in a Buffalo, N.Y. hospital.
Police said they found a body Friday near the home of 49-year-old Dr. Timothy Jorden. Buffalo police said the man apparently died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Authorities said they believe the body is that of Jorden.
The trauma surgeon and former Army medic is accused of killing 33-year-old Jacqueline Wisniewski on Wednesday at the stairwell of the hospital where both she and Jorden worked.
Wisniewski's friends told local media outlets that Jorden began stalking her after she ended the relationship. Jorden's colleagues also say he had been acting strangely in recent months, and lost as much as 75 pounds from his 6-foot-2, 250-pound frame.
According to the Buffalo News, Jorden joined the National Guard in high school, went into the Army after graduation and served with the Army's special forces, first as a weapons expert, then as a medic. In those roles, he served in the Caribbean, Japan and Korea.
Jorden earned a medical degree from the University at Buffalo and trained at the Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Wash. He received his certification from the American Board of Surgery in 2004.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new york, shooting, national news
- I-5 through Grapevine closed due to snow, ice 32 min ago
- Quick, cold front brings rain, chance of snow
- US Korean War vet back in CA after detention 7 min ago
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Smartphone apps for a better night's sleep
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting
- OTRC: Brian the dog returning to 'Family Guy'?