TX teacher ordered kindergarten students to hit accused bully - school district
SAN ANTONIO (KABC) -- A Texas teacher will lose her job after ordering 20 kindergartners to line up and hit a fellow classmate, who was accused of being a bully.
The teacher at the San Antonio school allegedly arranged the incident after a younger teaching colleague went to her last month seeking suggestions on how to discipline the 6-year-old, say police.
Both teachers at Salinas Elementary were placed on paid administrative leave, though the one who allegedly arranged the punishment will not work for the district next school year, said a district spokesperson.
Prosecutors are looking over the allegations and will determine whether formal charges will be filed in the next few months.
According to the police report, the teacher chose to show the child "why bullying is bad" by instructing his peers to "Hit him!" and "Hit him harder!" The report also states that the second teacher intervened only after one of the children hit the boy hard on his upper back.
Amy Neely, the mother of the accused bully Aiden, said her son is not a problem child, and this was the first she has ever heard of teachers having issues with him. She said she wants to make sure the teacher who ordered the hitting does not work in a classroom again.
"She doesn't need to be around any children," Neely told the KENS-TV.
The mother added - and the police report confirmed - that some of Aiden's classroom friends told him they didn't want to hit the boy but did so because they were afraid not to.
The school district has not released the names of the teachers involved in the incident.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
school, national news
- Fewer travelers expected Memorial Day weekend
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross 9 min ago
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter'
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- Fatal S. LA drive-by shooting suspects sought 7 min ago
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews