George Zimmerman's bail set at $1 million
ORLANDO, Fla. (KABC) -- A judge said George Zimmerman can be released on $1 million bail as he awaits trial for the death of Trayvon Martin.
That amount is significantly higher than the last bail set by Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester, who initially set Zimmerman's bail at $150,000. The judge had revoked that earlier bond last month after prosecutors revealed that Zimmerman and his wife misled the court about how much money they had during an earlier bond hearing.
Attorneys said a website Zimmerman created for his legal defense had raised $135,000 at the time of his first bond hearing. He and his wife did not disclose the money at the time, and Shellie Zimmerman even said the couple was financially strapped because she was a student and her husband was not working.Zimmerman's defense fund currently has $211,000, according to ABC News.
Shellie Zimmerman was charged with perjury and arrested for lying about their finances.
George Zimmerman is accused of fatally shooting Martin on Feb. 26 during a confrontation with the 17-year-old in a Sanford, Fla. neighborhood. Martin was walking home from a convenience store when Zimmerman spotted him from his truck and called police to report him as suspicious.
shooting, national news
- Memorial Day: More travelers hitting the road
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens 52 min ago
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter'
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- Fatal S. LA drive-by shooting suspects sought 52 min ago
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested 19 min ago
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect 45 min ago
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- Kings beat Sharks 3-0, take series lead 3-2
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge 40 min ago
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews
- 'Epic, 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast 6' in theaters
45 min ago