Capitol Hill outrage over US Olympic team uniforms
WASHINGTON (KABC) -- There's outrage on Capitol Hill after word got out that the U.S. Olympic team will be wearing uniforms almost entirely made in China.
The official Team USA uniforms for the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony in London are designed by Ralph Lauren, but made overseas.
"They should be wearing things that are made in America," said Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid suggested that the uniforms be put in a big pile and burned. House Speaker John Boehner agreed with the sentiment, saying, "You'd think they know better."
ABC News has received word from the U.S. Olympic Committee saying, "We are singularly focused on supporting our athletes as they take the stage in London."
olympics, national news
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate