Joe Paterno's halo in PA mural painted over
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (KABC) -- An artist removed a halo from a mural of Penn State football coach Joe Paterno amid the school's sex-abuse scandal.
Michael Pilato had painted a halo over Paterno's head after the beloved coach's death in January. He removed that halo on Saturday and added a blue ribbon to Paterno's jacket, symbolizing support for child abuse victims.
The changes come in the wake of an independent investigation accusing Paterno and three other Penn State officials of covering up child sex-abuse allegations against ex-assistant Jerry Sandusky. Sandusky has been convicted and is awaiting sentencing.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
sex crimes, sexual assault, national news
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd 55 min ago
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 26 min ago
- Yucaipa woman arrested in husband's murder 58 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 24 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 14 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks