Boy Scouts reaffirm policy excluding gays
NEW YORK (KABC) -- After a confidential two-year review, the Boy Scouts of America on Tuesday emphatically reaffirmed its policy of excluding gays.
National spokesman Deron Smith told The Associated Press that an 11-member special committee determined that the policy was "absolutely the best policy for the Boys Scouts."
The committee was formed discreetly by top Scout leaders in 2010 and was comprised of professional scout executives and adult volunteers. The committee's unanimous decision preserves a long-standing policy that was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in 2000 and has remained controversial ever since.
"The vast majority of the parents of youth we serve value their right to address issues of same-sex orientation within their family, with spiritual advisers and at the appropriate time and in the right setting," Scouts' chief executive Bob Mazzuca said.
The policy applies to both leaders and Scouts.
Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, the largest U.S. gay-rights group, depicted the Scouts' decision as "a missed opportunity of colossal proportions."
"With the country moving toward inclusion, the leaders of the Boy Scouts of America have instead sent a message to young people that only some of them are valued," he said. "They've chosen to teach division and intolerance."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 16 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 43 min ago
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 5 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 9 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 11 min ago
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
45 min ago