Florida women caught stealing at Wal-Mart leave baby behind, police say
OCALA, Fla. (KABC) -- Two women who were caught stealing from a Florida Wal-Mart left a baby behind when they made a run for it, police said.
Investigators said store security at the store in Ocala, Fla., about 40 miles south of Gainesville, confronted sisters Allison Niemeyer, 19, and Laura Niemeyer as they tried to leave with $57 in stolen clothes stuffed into a diaper bag and a DVD player.
Allison Niemeyer bolted, leaving her 1-year-old son behind. Her sister also managed to get away.
"When the loss prevention officer asked her, 'Are you going to come get your child?' she said, 'It's not my child. It's not my child.' And she continued to leave, and then they both abandoned the baby," said Ocala Police Sgt. Chas Maier.
Police caught up with the sisters the next night at a dance club and arrested them.
The sisters were charged with felony child neglect and theft. The mother was on probation for a home invasion robbery committed while she was pregnant.
The boy was placed in protective custody.
arrest, stupid criminals, national news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen
- SKorea ferry accident: 10 more bodies pulled
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- 13th body pulled following Everest avalanche
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members 5 min ago
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- Brokechella festival held in downtown LA
10 min ago