Florida women caught stealing at Wal-Mart leave baby behind, police say
OCALA, Fla. (KABC) -- Two women who were caught stealing from a Florida Wal-Mart left a baby behind when they made a run for it, police said.
Investigators said store security at the store in Ocala, Fla., about 40 miles south of Gainesville, confronted sisters Allison Niemeyer, 19, and Laura Niemeyer as they tried to leave with $57 in stolen clothes stuffed into a diaper bag and a DVD player.
Allison Niemeyer bolted, leaving her 1-year-old son behind. Her sister also managed to get away.
"When the loss prevention officer asked her, 'Are you going to come get your child?' she said, 'It's not my child. It's not my child.' And she continued to leave, and then they both abandoned the baby," said Ocala Police Sgt. Chas Maier.
Police caught up with the sisters the next night at a dance club and arrested them.
The sisters were charged with felony child neglect and theft. The mother was on probation for a home invasion robbery committed while she was pregnant.
The boy was placed in protective custody.
arrest, stupid criminals, national news
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 30 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate