Florida women caught stealing at Wal-Mart leave baby behind, police say
OCALA, Fla. (KABC) -- Two women who were caught stealing from a Florida Wal-Mart left a baby behind when they made a run for it, police said.
Investigators said store security at the store in Ocala, Fla., about 40 miles south of Gainesville, confronted sisters Allison Niemeyer, 19, and Laura Niemeyer as they tried to leave with $57 in stolen clothes stuffed into a diaper bag and a DVD player.
Allison Niemeyer bolted, leaving her 1-year-old son behind. Her sister also managed to get away.
"When the loss prevention officer asked her, 'Are you going to come get your child?' she said, 'It's not my child. It's not my child.' And she continued to leave, and then they both abandoned the baby," said Ocala Police Sgt. Chas Maier.
Police caught up with the sisters the next night at a dance club and arrested them.
The sisters were charged with felony child neglect and theft. The mother was on probation for a home invasion robbery committed while she was pregnant.
The boy was placed in protective custody.
arrest, stupid criminals, national news
- Metro Red, Purple lines to require Tap Card
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash 52 min ago
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Winkler removed from Saugus school board
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions 44 min ago
- abcnews: TWA 800 crash not accident - investigators
- Chrysler agrees to Jeep recall over fire risk
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy