Aurora theater shooting: Judge bans release of James Holmes' university documents
DENVER (KABC) -- A judge has barred the University of Colorado Denver from releasing any records about movie theater shooting suspect James Holmes.
One of the many mysteries surrounding the California native since last Friday's shooting rampage is what happened to the 24-year-old during his time in the neuroscience program.
Holmes entered the prestigious Colorado program in June 2011 and spent a year surrounded by scientists and roughly three dozen classmates, delving into the inner workings of the brain. But a year later, he dropped out after failing a key oral exam.
Numerous media organizations filed open records requests for school records after Holmes was named as the suspect in the shooting that left 12 dead and 58 wounded in Aurora.
But in an order signed Monday and released by the school Thursday, District Court Judge William Blair Sylvester said releasing information would "impede an ongoing investigation." Sylvester is overseeing the criminal case against Holmes, who is expected to appear in court Monday and be formally charged.
Sylvester had previously issued a gag order barring attorneys and police from discussing the case with reporters. He has also sealed the case file, preventing the public from seeing the accusations and legal arguments that both sides will make.
Meanwhile, services were held Thursday in Denver for another shooting victim, 23-year-old Micayla Medek. Mourners wore pink ribbons, some with Hello Kitty faces on them, in honor of her fondness for the color and the character.
Medek attended Aurora Community College and worked at a Subway sandwich shop. Family members described her as loving and independent-minded.
Visitation was held Thursday for another theater victim, Alex Sullivan, who was known as a gentle man with a glowing smile. His funeral will be private, and no details have been released.
The body of a 26-year-old Navy veteran Jonathan Blunk is expected to arrive at his Reno, Nev., home on Friday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 24 min ago
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach 22 min ago
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Ex-Compton deputy fire chief out on bail 3 min ago
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Vin Diesel denies steroids use (Video)