Aurora theater shooting: Judge bans release of James Holmes' university documents
DENVER (KABC) -- A judge has barred the University of Colorado Denver from releasing any records about movie theater shooting suspect James Holmes.
One of the many mysteries surrounding the California native since last Friday's shooting rampage is what happened to the 24-year-old during his time in the neuroscience program.
Holmes entered the prestigious Colorado program in June 2011 and spent a year surrounded by scientists and roughly three dozen classmates, delving into the inner workings of the brain. But a year later, he dropped out after failing a key oral exam.
Numerous media organizations filed open records requests for school records after Holmes was named as the suspect in the shooting that left 12 dead and 58 wounded in Aurora.
But in an order signed Monday and released by the school Thursday, District Court Judge William Blair Sylvester said releasing information would "impede an ongoing investigation." Sylvester is overseeing the criminal case against Holmes, who is expected to appear in court Monday and be formally charged.
Sylvester had previously issued a gag order barring attorneys and police from discussing the case with reporters. He has also sealed the case file, preventing the public from seeing the accusations and legal arguments that both sides will make.
Meanwhile, services were held Thursday in Denver for another shooting victim, 23-year-old Micayla Medek. Mourners wore pink ribbons, some with Hello Kitty faces on them, in honor of her fondness for the color and the character.
Medek attended Aurora Community College and worked at a Subway sandwich shop. Family members described her as loving and independent-minded.
Visitation was held Thursday for another theater victim, Alex Sullivan, who was known as a gentle man with a glowing smile. His funeral will be private, and no details have been released.
The body of a 26-year-old Navy veteran Jonathan Blunk is expected to arrive at his Reno, Nev., home on Friday.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'