Aurora theater shooting suspect was seeing psychiatrist
DENVER (KABC) -- Colorado movie theater shooting suspect James Holmes was being treated by a psychiatrist, according to a legal document filed by attorneys.
The psychiatrist was Dr. Lynne Fenton, director of student mental health services at the University of Colorado. Holmes was a graduate student there, until he dropped out last month.
The court papers do not say when Holmes began treatment or whether he was diagnosed with a mental illness.
Holmes, 24, is accused of opening fire in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" on July 20. Twelve people were killed and 58 wounded.
The court document also confirmed that Holmes mailed a package to his doctors that authorities have since seized. Investigators are analyzing that notebook, which is believed to be written by Holmes that could be a roadmap to a massacre. It contained plans for a massive shooting, including drawings of a stick-figure gunman mowing down his victims.
Holmes' attorneys filed a motion, claiming that seizing the package was a breach of confidentiality. They're also accusing the government of leaking the existence of the package to the media.
The Arapahoe County District Attorney's Office filed an objection to that motion, asking for it to be denied.
Holmes is expected to make his second court appearance on Monday, when he will be formally charged.
ABC News contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Burglary suspects sexually assault woman
- Sex offender arrested for sex with minor
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- Man tries to lure Culver City girl into car
- TSA responds to case on disabled LAX passenger
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- South Korea ferry death toll reaches 156
- abcnews: McCann probers focus on child sex attacker
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- Jay Z, Beyonce Rose Bowl concert approved
- OTRC: Jodie Foster weds partner Alexandra Hedison