Aurora theater shooting suspect was seeing psychiatrist
DENVER (KABC) -- Colorado movie theater shooting suspect James Holmes was being treated by a psychiatrist, according to a legal document filed by attorneys.
The psychiatrist was Dr. Lynne Fenton, director of student mental health services at the University of Colorado. Holmes was a graduate student there, until he dropped out last month.
The court papers do not say when Holmes began treatment or whether he was diagnosed with a mental illness.
Holmes, 24, is accused of opening fire in an Aurora, Colo. movie theater during a midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" on July 20. Twelve people were killed and 58 wounded.
The court document also confirmed that Holmes mailed a package to his doctors that authorities have since seized. Investigators are analyzing that notebook, which is believed to be written by Holmes that could be a roadmap to a massacre. It contained plans for a massive shooting, including drawings of a stick-figure gunman mowing down his victims.
Holmes' attorneys filed a motion, claiming that seizing the package was a breach of confidentiality. They're also accusing the government of leaking the existence of the package to the media.
The Arapahoe County District Attorney's Office filed an objection to that motion, asking for it to be denied.
Holmes is expected to make his second court appearance on Monday, when he will be formally charged.
ABC News contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Secret Service probe Target security breach 9 min ago
- IE man who died in custody was high on PCP
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- 1 of 4 missing women found; mystery remains
- 96 animals rescued from 2 Los Angeles homes
- Harvard student admits to hoax to avoid final
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen 50 min ago
- White House panel urges limit on NSA snooping
- Paul Walker crash: No mechanical issues
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny 12 min ago
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds