Chick-fil-A same-sex 'kiss-in' demonstrations held
HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (KABC) -- Same-sex marriage supporters carried out "kiss-in" demonstrations at Chick-fil-A restaurants nationwide on Friday.
Organizers say "National Same-Sex Kiss Day at Chick-fil-A" is to protest comments made by the chain's president, Dan Cathy, who recently spoke out against same-sex marriage.
Ever since Cathy spoke out there have been demonstrations at the restaurants nationwide by gay-rights advocates. Counter-demonstrations have been held in response by people showing their support for Cathy.
Demonstrators on both sides of the issue have been showing up at restaurants across the nation.
Wednesday, hundreds of thousands of Cathy's supporters, many of them conservative Christians, recognized "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" at more than 1,600 locations. Some of the supporters said they were demonstrating in support of free speech.
Gay-rights activists planned same-sex "kiss-ins" at restaurants across the country for Friday. The protests in the Southland were expected to take place Friday evening.
"It's a way to show Chick-fil-A and the rest of the country that our love is just as good as heterosexual love," said organizer Carly McGhee. Participants are being asked to come to the fast-food restaurants and kiss a fellow demonstrator of the same sex.
Employees at the Chick-fil-A restaurant in Torrance arrived to work Friday morning to find the building vandalized with graffiti that said "Tastes Like Hate." It was written in the same font as the chain's slogan and had a drawing of a cow holding a paint brush and bucket.
The graffiti was painted over Friday morning.
protest, same-sex marriage, national news
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured 32 min ago
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- Prize-winning bulldogs stolen from IE home
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens
- Katherine Jackson cries, leaves courtroom
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'