Jared Loughner may plead guilty for life in prison
PHOENIX (KABC) -- Jared Lee Loughner was reportedly expected to enter a plea deal Tuesday in the Tucson shooting rampage case that would likely send him to prison for the rest of his life.
A court-appointed psychiatrist will testify that Loughner is competent to enter a plea in the shooting that killed six people and injured 13, including then-U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, according to a source familiar with the case and speaking on the condition of anonymity.
The plan is for Loughner to enter a guilty plea in the murders and attempted murders. The plan is contingent on the judge in the case allowing Loughner to enter the plea.
Loughner had pleaded not guilty to 49 federal charges stemming from the Jan. 8, 2011, shooting outside a supermarket where Giffords was holding a meet-and-greet with constituents. Authorities said Loughner shot Giffords in the head, then turned his gun at the crowd before being subdued by bystanders. Giffords subsequently left Congress to devote her time to rehabilitation.
U.S. District Judge Larry Burns ruled previously that Loughner wasn't psychologically fit to stand trial, but that he could eventually be made ready for trial after treatment.
Experts concluded that Loughner is schizophrenic. Prison officials in Missouri, where Loughner has been held, have forcibly medicated him with psychotropic drugs. His psychologist has said that his condition has improved since being medicated by force.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens 40 min ago
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 16 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain 58 min ago
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
38 min ago