Jared Loughner may plead guilty for life in prison
PHOENIX (KABC) -- Jared Lee Loughner was reportedly expected to enter a plea deal Tuesday in the Tucson shooting rampage case that would likely send him to prison for the rest of his life.
A court-appointed psychiatrist will testify that Loughner is competent to enter a plea in the shooting that killed six people and injured 13, including then-U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, according to a source familiar with the case and speaking on the condition of anonymity.
The plan is for Loughner to enter a guilty plea in the murders and attempted murders. The plan is contingent on the judge in the case allowing Loughner to enter the plea.
Loughner had pleaded not guilty to 49 federal charges stemming from the Jan. 8, 2011, shooting outside a supermarket where Giffords was holding a meet-and-greet with constituents. Authorities said Loughner shot Giffords in the head, then turned his gun at the crowd before being subdued by bystanders. Giffords subsequently left Congress to devote her time to rehabilitation.
U.S. District Judge Larry Burns ruled previously that Loughner wasn't psychologically fit to stand trial, but that he could eventually be made ready for trial after treatment.
Experts concluded that Loughner is schizophrenic. Prison officials in Missouri, where Loughner has been held, have forcibly medicated him with psychotropic drugs. His psychologist has said that his condition has improved since being medicated by force.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Van Nuys road rage: 2 well-dressed men fight
- Wrong-way driver causes 8-car pileup on 14 Fwy
- SoCal fire season could be worst in 100 years
- South LA chase ends with crash, standoff
- West Hills murder suspect caught in motel room
- 911 caller in Pasadena shooting pleads guilty
- Yucaipa teen run over by alleged drunk driver
- Motorcycle fleeing police crashes; 2 dead
- Passenger rants about poison, CIA on plane
- abcnews: Victim's grandson welcomes release of killer
- G8 meeting: Divisions over Syrian civil war
- Jackson trial: Former record exec testifies
- 'MU' premieres w/ blue carpet, tailgate party 54 min ago
- OTRC: 'Girl Meets World' getting full series
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos