James Holmes allegedly made threats before Colo. theater shooting
DENVER (KABC) -- The alleged gunman in the Colorado theater shooting reportedly spoke out about his deadly plans months before the bloodshed, according to a court document filed by prosecutors that was unsealed Friday.
Prosecutors claim James Holmes told an unidentified University of Colorado classmate in March that he wanted to kill people, which was four months before the shootings.
The alleged conversation would have occurred at roughly the same time that police said Holmes began receiving "a high volume of deliveries" at his home and at the university. Police haven't revealed what those packages contained, but they said he ordered thousands of rounds of ammunition on the Internet.
The court document was filed after Holmes' defense team tried to quash prosecutors' request for his educational records. Prosecutors argued that the documents are relevant to the investigation of the crime. The judge has not decided whether the school records will be used as evidence.
Prosecutors also hope to use a notebook as evidence in the case. The notebook was part of a package Holmes sent to his university psychiatrist, Lynne Fenton. She is expected to testify at an Aug. 30 hearing.
ABC News and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, legal, national news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 25 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college 41 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway 21 min ago
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters 36 min ago
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2