President Obama motorcade officer dies in Florida accident
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (KABC) -- A member of President Obama's motorcade is dead after an accident on a Florida highway.
Police say a Ford-150 pickup hit Officer Bruce St. Laurent's motorcycle in West Palm Beach as he prepared to shut down a section of Interstate 95.
He was taken to nearby St. Mary's Medical Center and was pronounced dead.
Obama was on the second day of a bus tour through the key swing state and made a campaign appearance Sunday at the Palm Beach County Convention Center.
White House press secretary Jay Carney said that while the president didn't see the accident, he was notified of the officer's death and said "our thoughts and prayers are with the officer's family."
St. Laurent, 55, was a 20-year veteran of the Jupiter Police Department.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
president barack obama, national news
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack 47 min ago
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest 5 min ago
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 59 min ago
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer 43 min ago
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
32 min ago