Jerry Sandusky to be sentenced Oct. 9 in Penn State sex abuse case
BELLEFONTE, Pa. (KABC) -- Retired Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky will be sentenced Oct.9 on his conviction of 45 counts of sex abuse involving 10 boys.
The sentencing date comes four months after the former coach was initially convicted in the child molestation scandal that rocked the university's community.
Given his age and the serious nature of the crimes of which he was convicted, Sandusky is likely to receive a sentence that will keep the 68-year-old in prison for life. He is jailed pending sentencing and maintains his innocence.
Pennsylvania Judge John Cleland, who set the October sentencing date, will determine if Sandusky should be classified as a sexually violent predator, a designation that subjects a convict to intense reporting requirements upon release. An assessment board requested the designation despite Sandusky's probable life sentence.
Sandusky will be sentenced immediately afterward.
The abuse scandal led to the firings of famed coach Joe Paterno and the university's president, as well as unprecedented sanctions against the football program by the NCAA.
Former FBI Director Louis Freeh, hired by school trustees to conduct an investigation into the university's handling of abuse complaints against Sandusky, concluded that Paterno, ousted President Graham Spanier and two other high-level school officials concealed a 2001 allegation against Sandusky to protect Penn State from bad publicity.
The late coach's family and Spanier hotly disputed Freeh's assertions. So did former athletic director Tim Curley and retired vice president Gary Schulz, who have been charged criminally with failure to report suspected child abuse and perjury. They have pleaded innocent and await trial.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
sex crimes, sexual assault, child abuse, court case, national news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited 11 min ago
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis