Bill Gates tops Forbes billionaire list for the 19th consecutive year
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates remains the richest man in the nation with a net worth of $66 billion, according to Forbes 400 list released Wednesday.
The honor comes as no surprise since this is the 19th consecutive year the tycoon has topped the Forbes' billionaire list.
Berkshire Hathaway's Warren Buffett came in second with $46 billion. Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison is third with $41 billion. Brothers Charles and David Koch, powerful elite in the Republican Party, tied for fourth with $31 billion each.
Following the lackluster IPO of his company, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg dropped from 14 to 36 on the list.
According to Forbes, the list shows the rich mainly got richer this year, with rising stock prices and a rebound in real estate values.
The top 10 people on this year's Forbes 400 billionaires list are:
- Bill Gates, $66 billion
- Warren Buffett, $46 billion
- Larry Ellison, $41 billion
- Charles Koch, $31 billion
- David Koch, $31 billion
- Christy Walton & family, $27.9 billion
- Jim Walton, $26.8 billion
- Alice Walton, $26.3 billion
- S. Robson Walton, $26.1 billion
- Michael Bloomberg, $25 billion
Get more information from Forbes 2012 400 billionaires list.
media, national news
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures peds 27 min ago
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- 289 missing, 7 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster 45 min ago
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident 51 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Distracted-driving trial: OC jury deadlocks
- Kansas Jewish center reopens after shooting 28 min ago
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break