Mauled NY man: I wanted to be one with the tiger
NEW YORK (KABC) -- The 25-year-old man who was mauled by a tiger at the Bronx Zoo told investigators he wanted "to be one" with the animal.
David Villalobos jumped 17 feet off the zoo's electric monorail line and over an electric fence into the tiger pit on Friday. He was mauled, suffering bites to his arms, legs, shoulders and his back.
Villalobos told New York Police Department spokesman Paul Browne that despite his serious injuries, he was able to pet the tiger before zookeepers came to his rescue. Browne said Villalobos will be arrested and charged with trespassing.
During a police interview at the hospital on Saturday, Villalobos told detectives that "his leap was definitely not a suicide attempt, but a desire to be one with the tiger," Browne said.
Zoo director Jim Breheny said the tiger isn't to blame for the incident. Breheny said Villalobos was alone with a 400-pound male Siberian tiger named Bashuta for about 10 minutes before he was rescued.
Bashuta was returned to a holding area where it usually sleeps at night and will not be euthanized, zoo officials said. Bashuta is 11 years old and has been at the zoo for three years.
There are 10 tigers at the zoo's Wild Asia exhibit, but Bashuta was the only one on display at the time. There are no surveillance cameras in that area of the exhibit.
In 2007, a tiger at the San Francisco Zoo had to be put down after it killed one person and mauled two others when it escaped from its compound.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
animal news, national news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 48 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles 38 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break