James Holmes was barred from school after threatening teacher - court docs
DENVER (KABC) -- The suspect in the Colorado theater shooting case was barred from university property for threatening a professor, according to court documents.
After months of secrecy, most of the documents filed in court surrounding the case were released to the public on Friday.
The documents reveal that James Holmes made threats to at least one professor at the University of Colorado. This information conflicts with the school's statements that Holmes was denied access to non-public parts of the campus because he had withdrawn from school.
The identity of the professor Holmes reportedly threatened was blacked out in the documents. During court testimony on Aug. 30, University of Colorado psychiatrist Lynne Fenton, also a professor at the school, said she contacted campus police after meeting with Holmes on June 11.
Holmes, 24, is charged with killing 12 people and injuring 58 others. The defense claims Holmes is mentally ill, raising the possibility that Holmes will plead not guilty by reason of insanity.
The newly released documents do not answer several key questions about the July 20 tragedy - including what allegedly drove Holmes to commit the attack and what, if anything, the University of Colorado did once he reportedly threatened people there.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Malaysia missing jet: Focus turns to pilots
- Comedian David Brenner dies at age 78
- Burbank stabbing leaves 2 in serious condition 57 min ago
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Young woman's body found in Santa Paula park 21 min ago
- Brush fire erupts in Thermal, near Indio 13 min ago
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report