James Holmes was barred from school after threatening teacher - court docs
DENVER (KABC) -- The suspect in the Colorado theater shooting case was barred from university property for threatening a professor, according to court documents.
After months of secrecy, most of the documents filed in court surrounding the case were released to the public on Friday.
The documents reveal that James Holmes made threats to at least one professor at the University of Colorado. This information conflicts with the school's statements that Holmes was denied access to non-public parts of the campus because he had withdrawn from school.
The identity of the professor Holmes reportedly threatened was blacked out in the documents. During court testimony on Aug. 30, University of Colorado psychiatrist Lynne Fenton, also a professor at the school, said she contacted campus police after meeting with Holmes on June 11.
Holmes, 24, is charged with killing 12 people and injuring 58 others. The defense claims Holmes is mentally ill, raising the possibility that Holmes will plead not guilty by reason of insanity.
The newly released documents do not answer several key questions about the July 20 tragedy - including what allegedly drove Holmes to commit the attack and what, if anything, the University of Colorado did once he reportedly threatened people there.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax
- South Korea ferry sinks; 2 dead, 14 injured
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- San Pedro Elks Lodge fire may be suspicious
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments