James Holmes was barred from school after threatening teacher - court docs
DENVER (KABC) -- The suspect in the Colorado theater shooting case was barred from university property for threatening a professor, according to court documents.
After months of secrecy, most of the documents filed in court surrounding the case were released to the public on Friday.
The documents reveal that James Holmes made threats to at least one professor at the University of Colorado. This information conflicts with the school's statements that Holmes was denied access to non-public parts of the campus because he had withdrawn from school.
The identity of the professor Holmes reportedly threatened was blacked out in the documents. During court testimony on Aug. 30, University of Colorado psychiatrist Lynne Fenton, also a professor at the school, said she contacted campus police after meeting with Holmes on June 11.
Holmes, 24, is charged with killing 12 people and injuring 58 others. The defense claims Holmes is mentally ill, raising the possibility that Holmes will plead not guilty by reason of insanity.
The newly released documents do not answer several key questions about the July 20 tragedy - including what allegedly drove Holmes to commit the attack and what, if anything, the University of Colorado did once he reportedly threatened people there.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; people in water 23 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Consumer Reports tests summertime sunscreens 8 min ago
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'