James Holmes was barred from school after threatening teacher - court docs
DENVER (KABC) -- The suspect in the Colorado theater shooting case was barred from university property for threatening a professor, according to court documents.
After months of secrecy, most of the documents filed in court surrounding the case were released to the public on Friday.
The documents reveal that James Holmes made threats to at least one professor at the University of Colorado. This information conflicts with the school's statements that Holmes was denied access to non-public parts of the campus because he had withdrawn from school.
The identity of the professor Holmes reportedly threatened was blacked out in the documents. During court testimony on Aug. 30, University of Colorado psychiatrist Lynne Fenton, also a professor at the school, said she contacted campus police after meeting with Holmes on June 11.
Holmes, 24, is charged with killing 12 people and injuring 58 others. The defense claims Holmes is mentally ill, raising the possibility that Holmes will plead not guilty by reason of insanity.
The newly released documents do not answer several key questions about the July 20 tragedy - including what allegedly drove Holmes to commit the attack and what, if anything, the University of Colorado did once he reportedly threatened people there.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
shooting, national news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash 39 min ago
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s 39 min ago
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present
- Two smart watch models put to the test
19 min ago