Michigan lottery winner found dead; drugs likely involved
ECORSE, Mich. (KABC) -- A Michigan lottery winner, who was put on probation for taking food stamps even after her win, has died.
The woman's body was found Saturday morning, on a bed holding her 1-year-old daughter.
Police say it looks to be a drug overdose and according to her friends, it likely stemmed from the fame and torment she received after winning the $1 million jackpot.
"So many people tried to take advantage of her, act like they are her friends just to get some money from her. What's the point of having money if you're not going to have happiness? All the money in the world can't bring her back," said one friend.
That friend also said the woman did not want the money anymore and started buying things for her family. She even set up college funds for her children.
By the time of her death, she only had $67,000 of her winnings left.
lottery, national news
- Target probe focuses on processing centers 16 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Lancaster woman found dead; sons questioned
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- Calif. jobless rate continues positive trend
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- Understanding symbols on plastic containers 13 min ago
- Bejo's 'Past' character sometimes unlikeable 23 min ago
- 9-yr-old FL girl is youngest to bowl 300 game
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talks 'Duck Dynasty' future 41 min ago