SpaceX Dragon capsule arrives at International Space Station
CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (KABC) -- The SpaceX Dragon capsule has successfully delivered a half-ton of supplies to the International Space Station.
The capsule attached to the station's robotic arm Wednesday, 250 miles above the Pacific, just west of Baja California, 2½ days after the Dragon's launch from Cape Canaveral, Fla.
It's the first delivery by SpaceX under a $1.6 billion contract with NASA. The contract calls for 12 such shipments. The current shipment, carrying 1,000 pounds of groceries, clothes, science experiments and other gear, won't be opened by the space station crew until Thursday, when the hatch is opened.
Dragon will stay attached to the station for 18 days before returning to Earth filled with a different load of gear. Dragon is the only cargo ship capable of bringing back research and other items, filling a void left by NASA's retired shuttles.
This is the second Dragon to visit the space station. Last May, SpaceX conducted a test flight. The Hawthorne-based company is working to make its Dragon capsule safe enough to carry astronauts, possibly in three years. For now, NASA is paying the Russian Space Agency tens of millions of dollars to launch astronauts to the space station. Other U.S. companies also are vying for crew-carrying rights.
The space station currently houses three astronauts from America, Russia and Japan. Another American and two more Russians will arrive in two weeks.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
nasa, national news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Malibu whales caught on drone camera
27 min ago