Florida parking garage collapses, kills 3
MIAMI (KABC) -- A five-story parking garage collapsed at Miami Dade College, killing three people and injuring several others.
The parking structure in Doral was under construction at the west Miami-Dade campus.
"It fell to the ground like a house of cards," said Victoria Buczynski of Miami, who works across the street. "The construction workers started running out, screaming. It was loud. Our entire building shook."
One man who died had been trapped for about 13 hours after the collapse. Rescue crews found Samuel Perez after hearing his cries amid the rubble on Thursday and spent hours communicating with him before he was taken to the hospital.
Police identified the other two fatalities as Jose Calderon and Carlos Hurtado de Mendoza. All three of the dead worked for subcontractors of the firm handling the construction of the garage, Ajax Building Corp., said Ajax president and CEO Bill Byrne.
One person is still missing, Miami-Dade police said.
At least seven workers were brought to the hospital with unidentified injuries, while an eighth was treated on the scene and sent home. There were no students in the area because the garage was under construction.
The campus was evacuated and closed for the rest of the week. Investigators planned to pick through the rubble to see what caused the garage to crumble.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine 36 min ago
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video 43 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer won't seek third term 37 min ago
- Ukraine accuses Russia of military buildup
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons