New York nanny suspected of killing 2 kids in apartment
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Police do not know the motive behind the murder of two children, allegedly stabbed to death by their nanny in the family apartment in New York's Upper West Side.
Authorities say Marina Krim returned home on Thursday and found 2-year-old Leo and 6-year-old Lucia stabbed to death in the bathtub. The nanny, identified as Yoselyn Ortega, was nearby with stab wounds to her neck believed to be self inflicted, police said.
Ortega, 50, was rushed to a local hospital in critical but stable condition. The naturalized U.S. citizen had been employed by the family for approximately two years, according to WABC-TV. No charges have been filed yet.
The children's father, CNBC digital media executive Kevin Krim, who had been away on a business trip, was met by police at the airport on his return and was given an escort to the hospital where his loved ones had gathered.
The family's apartment building sits in one of the city's most idyllic neighborhoods, a block from Central Park, near the Museum of Natural History and blocks from Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts. The neighborhood is home to many affluent families.
After police arrived, the devastated mother remained in the building's lobby, screaming hysterically and clutching her third child, a 3-year-old little girl.
The family had moved to New York from San Francisco within the last few years. The children's father was named general manager of CNBC's digital media division in March, working previously in digital media at Bloomberg.
The family lived in a stately, late 19th-century apartment building where one three-bedroom unit currently available for rent has an asking price of $10,000 per month. They had a greyhound, retired from racing, named Babar.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new york, murder, stabbing, national news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies 11 min ago
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom 16 min ago
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)