HMS Bounty captain still missing off North Carolina coast
ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. (KABC) -- The Coast Guard used ships and airplanes to search the Atlantic on Tuesday for the captain of the sunken HMS Bounty.
The Coast Guard was optimistic Robin Walbridge, 63, could still be alive in his blazing red survival suit 90 miles off the North Carolina coast. The captain went overboard early Monday when the HMS Bounty rolled over in 18-foot waves as Hurricane Sandy made its way toward the East Coast.
The Coast Guard rescued 14 crew members of the tall ship. Crew member Claudene Christian, 42, was unresponsive when she was pulled out of the water. She later died at the hospital. The rest of the crew was in good condition.
The crew had to abandon ship when the vessel started taking on water early Monday morning. The ship's owner said the captain was aware of the storm.
"I don't really question his judgment. He knows the ship. He's been captain of her for over 20 years, and nobody knows her better than him, and I totally trusted his judgment," said Hms Bounty owner Robert Hansen.
The replica 18th-century sailing vessel was originally built for the 1962 film "Mutiny on the Bounty and it was featured in several other films, including one of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
hurricane, superstorm sandy, storm, national news
- Missing plane sent satellite signals for hours
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC 41 min ago
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2 40 min ago
- Inmate escapes jail hours after sentencing
- Norwood pleads not guilty to weapons charge
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- Man in Fla. theater shooting also was texting
- abcnews: Dog's healing effects on 2 wounded vets 37 min ago
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper 38 min ago
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Tina Fey talks 'Mean Girls' reunion rumors