JFK, Newark airports reopen with limited service
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and Newark International Airport in New Jersey reopened with limited service Wednesday morning, and some of the first arriving flights from the East Coast landed at LAX.
Mike Kenyluk flew in from Philadelphia to visit family in Van Nuys. He says the storm did a lot of damage near his New Jersey home.
"Everywhere around us is destroyed. Everywhere we grew up, the beach town, it's gone," he said.
Paul Galla said he was trying to fly out of Pittsburgh for the past couple of days, but he finally got a flight to Philadelphia Wednesday morning, then connected to Phoenix and finally arrived at LAX.
"It was a little frustrating. I wanted to get out here because I wanted to go trick or treating with the grandkid this morning, you know," Galla said.
New York's LaGuardia Airport remains closed due to flooding, but it will reopen on Thursday at 7 a.m. with limited flight schedules. New York has the nation's busiest airspace, so cancellations there can dramatically affect travel in other cities.
Flights also resumed at other airports. Delta restarted flying from Boston and Washington Dulles and Reagan on Tuesday. Service was slowly returning to Philadelphia International Airport.
There were still about 27 cancellations at Los Angeles International Airport on Wednesday. In total, about 18,000 flights across the country have been canceled since Saturday. The storm grounded more than 7,000 flights nationwide on Tuesday alone, according to the flight-tracking service FlightAware.
Hurricane Sandy converged with a cold-weather system and slammed into New Jersey on Monday night, with 80 mph winds. The monstrous hybrid of rain and high wind killed more than three dozen people in the U.S.
You can help victims of the storm by sending relief checks for the American Red Cross to ABC7. Checks can be made out to: American Red Cross, with Sandy Relief in the memo line. Send checks to:
Superstorm Sandy Relief
P.O. Box 5967
Glendale, CA 91221
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
superstorm sandy, storm, airport news, travel, hurricane, new york, los angeles international airport, national news
- Spaccia convicted in Bell corruption trial 10 min ago
- 18 indicted in LA Sheriff's Dept abuse probe
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Houseguest arrested after 80-year-old's death
- OCTA votes against 405 Freeway toll lanes
- Man who allegedly pranked coaches arrested 1 min ago
- Glendale man gets 5 yrs in 'sextortion' case
- Ex-SD Mayor Filner sentenced for harassment
- abcnews: Gun makers thriving year after Newtown
- Storm snarls travel; power outages persist
- New cockroach found in NYC can withstand cold
- 6 finalists announced for 2013 Heisman trophy
- Jenni Rivera plane crash: New details emerge
- OTRC: Meredith Baxter weds partner Nancy Locke