JFK, Newark airports reopen with limited service
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York and Newark International Airport in New Jersey reopened with limited service Wednesday morning, and some of the first arriving flights from the East Coast landed at LAX.
Mike Kenyluk flew in from Philadelphia to visit family in Van Nuys. He says the storm did a lot of damage near his New Jersey home.
"Everywhere around us is destroyed. Everywhere we grew up, the beach town, it's gone," he said.
Paul Galla said he was trying to fly out of Pittsburgh for the past couple of days, but he finally got a flight to Philadelphia Wednesday morning, then connected to Phoenix and finally arrived at LAX.
"It was a little frustrating. I wanted to get out here because I wanted to go trick or treating with the grandkid this morning, you know," Galla said.
New York's LaGuardia Airport remains closed due to flooding, but it will reopen on Thursday at 7 a.m. with limited flight schedules. New York has the nation's busiest airspace, so cancellations there can dramatically affect travel in other cities.
Flights also resumed at other airports. Delta restarted flying from Boston and Washington Dulles and Reagan on Tuesday. Service was slowly returning to Philadelphia International Airport.
There were still about 27 cancellations at Los Angeles International Airport on Wednesday. In total, about 18,000 flights across the country have been canceled since Saturday. The storm grounded more than 7,000 flights nationwide on Tuesday alone, according to the flight-tracking service FlightAware.
Hurricane Sandy converged with a cold-weather system and slammed into New Jersey on Monday night, with 80 mph winds. The monstrous hybrid of rain and high wind killed more than three dozen people in the U.S.
You can help victims of the storm by sending relief checks for the American Red Cross to ABC7. Checks can be made out to: American Red Cross, with Sandy Relief in the memo line. Send checks to:
Superstorm Sandy Relief
P.O. Box 5967
Glendale, CA 91221
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
superstorm sandy, storm, airport news, travel, hurricane, new york, los angeles international airport, national news
- Tornado rips through Oklahoma City suburb 9 min ago
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- Laguna Beach sex assault suspect surrenders
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- United's 787 Dreamliners back in service
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013
- Aerial views of Oklahoma tornado damage
33 min ago