NYC nanny charged in stabbing deaths of 2 kids
NEW YORK (KABC) -- Police have charged a New York City nanny in the stabbing deaths of two children.
Yoselyn Ortega was formally charged with first-and second-degree murder Saturday night after investigators interviewed the 50-year-old from her hospital bed.
Officers say on Oct. 25, Ortega fatally stabbed 6-year-old Lucia Krim and her 2-year-old brother, Leo, before stabbing herself.
A third sibling was with the mother when she discovered her children in the bathtub and Ortega on the bathroom floor of the family's apartment. A kitchen knife was nearby.
The children's father, CNBC digital media executive Kevin Krim, had been away on a business trip when the killings occurred.
Some of Ortega's friends and relatives said she appeared to be struggling emotionally and financially recently, but they still couldn't believe she could have committed such a heinous act.
It is unknown if Ortega has a lawyer.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
new york, murder, stabbing, national news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 1 min ago
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58 15 min ago
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter 29 min ago
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case 9 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store 10 min ago
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members 31 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 21 min ago
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour