Indiana house explosion damage estimated at $3.6 million - official
INDIANAPOLIS (KABC) -- Damage from a blast that left two people dead and seven others injured in an Indiana neighborhood has been estimated at $3.6 million.
The explosion happened Saturday night in a middle-class neighborhood in south Indianapolis, leaving blocks of homes uninhabitable.
Deputy Code Enforcement Director Adam Collins said as many as 31 homes were damaged so badly that they might have to be demolished. The explosion damaged a total of 80 homes, and Collins estimated the damage at $3.6 million.
While officials have not released the identities of the two people killed, a candlelight vigil was held Sunday at a local elementary school for second-grade teacher Jennifer Longworth. Longworth and her husband John Dion Longworth, lived in one of the homes destroyed in the blast.The cause of the explosion remains under investigation. U.S. Rep. Andre Carson, who represents the area, said he had been told a bomb or meth lab explosion had been ruled out.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
explosion, fire, national news
- Target probe focuses on processing centers 31 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- Judge strikes down Utah's same-sex marriage ban 3 min ago
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Casey Kasem conservatorship deal reached 12 min ago
- Harry Potter play in the works by J.K. Rowling
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future