Texas veterans train crash: Train speed was below limit
MIDLAND, Texas (KABC) -- The train that crashed into a flatbed trailer carrying wounded veterans in Midland, Texas was traveling below the speed limit, a National Transportation Safety Board official said.
NTSB official Mark Rosekind said the train was traveling at 62 mph at the time of the crash, short of the 70 mph speed limit. The speed limit was raised from 40 mph in 2006 to improve efficiency for passenger trains, Union Pacific spokeswoman Raquel Espinoza said.
NTSB investigators have not determined if the gate and other protective measures were updated when the speed limit was raised, Rosekind said. The agency plans to test signals for abnormalities Saturday.
Investigators also found the train's emergency brakes were applied before the accident.
Cameras were on both the lead car of the Union Pacific train and a sheriff's vehicle that was trailing the flatbed truck, Rosekind said. That footage could provide a fuller picture of what happened.
The veterans were on their way to a banquet in their honor at the time of the crash. Their float was inching across a railroad track in Midland when the crossing gates began to lower. Some of those aboard the float jumped off before the train seemed to appear out of nowhere and crashed into the flatbed truck.
In all, four veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan were killed and 16 people were injured. Killed were Marine Chief Warrant Officer 3 Gary Stouffer, 37; Army Sgt. Maj. Lawrence Boivin, 47; Army Sgt. Joshua Michael, 34; and Army Sgt. Maj. William Lubbers, 43.
Five people remained hospitalized early Saturday. In Midland, three people were in stable condition and one in critical. None of the injuries are life-threatening, said Marcy Madrid, a hospital spokeswoman. A fifth person, who had been transferred to a hospital in nearby Lubbock shortly after the accident, is in serious condition.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- James Gandolfini of 'Sopranos' dies at 51 4 min ago
- Hollywood panhandlers allegedly kill LA woman 47 min ago
- OC caregiver arrested for alleged sex assault
- Tip led to ex-USC professor's Mexico arrest 45 min ago
- Wrong-way driver charged with DUI in 14 pile-up
- West Hills murder suspect pleads not guilty 59 min ago
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Man stabbed during carjacking in Oxnard
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- Afghan leader suspends talks with Taliban, US
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Piedmont beef's lower fat entices connoisseurs
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony 18 min ago
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)