1 dead after boat capsizes off Florida coast
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (KABC) -- One person is dead after a boat capsized off the coast of Florida on Thanksgiving Day.
The divers and crew were heading back to the dock near Pompano Beach when a giant wave toppled the 45-foot long catamaran. Nina Poppelsdorf, a 54-year-old passenger, was killed.
Twenty-three other passengers were thrown into the water and rescued by the Coast Guard and nearby lifeguards and boaters. ABC News says three people were taken to the hospital with non-lifethreatening injuries and later released.
Investigators say the boat did not appear to be overcapacitated and the cause of the accident remained under investigation, according to ABC News.
So far, the dive company is not commenting.
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 19 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Stage collapse reported at Servite High School 24 min ago
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- abcnews: Teens save man stuck in sewer
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video