Casey Anthony case: Florida detectives overlooked Google search
ORLANDO, Fla. (KABC) -- The Florida sheriff's office that investigated the disappearance of Casey Anthony's 2-year-old daughter admitted Sunday that it overlooked a computer search on the day she was last seen alive.
The Google search for "fool-proof" suffocation methods in June 2008 was made from a computer in Anthony's home. Anthony was acquitted in 2011 of the murder of her daughter, Caylee. It is not known who did the search, but an Orlando TV station reported that it was done on a browser primarily used by the girl's mother.
Investigators reportedly pulled 17 vague entries only from the computer's Internet Explorer browser, not the Mozilla Firefox browser commonly used by Casey Anthony. More than 1,200 Firefox entries, including the suffocation search, were overlooked.
Whoever made the search clicked on an article about suicide that discussed taking poison and putting a bag over one's head.
Anthony's attorneys argued during trial that she helped her father, George Anthony, cover up the girl's drowning in the family pool.
A computer expert for Anthony's defense team found the search before the trial. Her lead attorney, Jose Baez, first mentioned the search in his book, but suggested it was George Anthony who conducted the search after Caylee drowned because he wanted to kill himself.
During Anthony's trial, prosecutors argued Caylee was poisoned and then suffocated. An exact cause of death was never determined because the girl's body was too decomposed when it was found six months after she disappeared.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Whittier standoff with hostage ends peacefully 28 min ago
- S. Korean ferry's slow evacuation probed 14 min ago
- Investigators reenact fatal NorCal bus crash
- Prop 8 lawyer's views on gay marriage changing
- Sriracha owner considers moving plant to TX?
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- Tenants receive relocation money from landlord
- Mount Everest avalanche: 6 killed, 9 missing
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Chelsea Clinton pregnant with 1st child
- Kittens accidentally shipped from LA to SD
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- Bryan Singer's accuser talks alleged abuse
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)