Giving Tuesday spotlights charity, volunteerism using social media
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- On the heels of Black Friday and Cyber Monday is Giving Tuesday, a new day designated for giving rather than getting.
Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites are encouraging people to make charitable donations and volunteer for a special cause.
Henry Timms and Kathy Calvin, founders of Giving Tuesday, say over 2,000 partners including corporations, nonprofits, schools and religious groups have signed up from all 50 states.
Timms is the deputy executive director of the Jewish community center 92nd Street Y and Calvin is CEO of the United Nations Foundation. Timms first came up with the idea during the holiday season last year, and he later took his idea to Calvin. She said the UN Foundation loved it.
"When 92Y's Henry Timms called he explained the opportunity this way, 'We have a day for giving thanks, two days for getting deals. Why shouldn't there be a day for giving back?'" Calvin said.
Calvin also thinks that it is now easier than ever to donate and volunteer in today's social media-saturated world.
Timms and Calvin are hoping to make Giving Tuesday an annual tradition. To find out more, visit the Giving Tuesday website.
ABC News contributed to this report.
charity, volunteerism, facebook, twitter, national news
- Video released in attack of transgender woman
- Prostitution bust at OC hotel - exclusive
- MTA bus drivers claim illness from pesticide
- LA plastic-bag ban tentatively approved 7 min ago
- Torrance man sues over Dorner police shooting
- Cash in paper bag stolen in Altadena robbery
- Zuma Beach bus line launched from Thousand Oaks
- Michael Hastings, BuzzFeed reporter, dies
- 1,500 evacuated in wildfire near Yosemite
- NSA foiled 50+ terrorist plots - director 53 min ago
- abcnews: NFL star's home searched after killing
- Heat beat Spurs 103-100, force Game 7 56 min ago
- Michael Jackson's personal chef testifies
- OTRC: Lil Wayne talks on American flag controversy
- 13-year-old leads wild police chase in Iowa
19 min ago
- Nathan Fillion spending summer on big screen
26 min ago