Powerball jackpot hits $550M; SoCal residents drive to AZ
EHRENBERG, Ariz. (KABC) -- With the Powerball jackpot at $550 million, many Southern California residents drove several hours to Arizona to buy tickets.
The numbers drawn for the record $550 million Powerball jackpot are: 5, 16, 22, 23, 29 and Powerball of 6. The numbers were drawn at 8 p.m. PT.
According to Powerball Wednesday about 10 p.m. Pacific Time, Missouri and Arizona already had jackpot winners.
California is one of six states in the continental U.S. that doesn't play Powerball, but for a chance at the second-largest payout in U.S. history, many people said the drive just might be worth it.
Demetrius Maxwell of San Bernardino said he was watching the 11 p.m. news Tuesday when he saw that the Powerball jackpot was so high.
"One of us said, 'Let's go,'" he said, so Maxwell and his friends took a motorcycle ride across the lower desert.
"A couple people ran out of gas, we had a few mishaps, but we made it here," said Stephanie Flagg of Fontana.
Powerball tickets were selling at a rate of 130,000 a minute nationwide, which means the jackpot could climb even higher before the Wednesday night drawing.
Paula Pippin of Hemet said even if she didn't win, the drive was still worth it.
"Are you kidding? I mean how often do you get a break from the office to go play Powerball?" she said.
The jackpot has already rolled over 16 consecutive times without a winner, but Powerball officials said there was a 75 percent chance the winning combination would be drawn this time.
There is talk by the California State Lottery Commission to hopefully bring Powerball to California. They will meet on Thursday, but they're not expecting a decision any time soon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
lottery, national news, rob mcmillan
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- LA family seeks justice after deputy shooting 26 min ago
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail 1 min ago
- Jefferson Park area stabbing suspect sought
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow 13 min ago
- Arkansas tornadoes injure 5, damage homes 7 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'