Powerball jackpot hits $550M; SoCal residents drive to AZ
EHRENBERG, Ariz. (KABC) -- With the Powerball jackpot at $550 million, many Southern California residents drove several hours to Arizona to buy tickets.
The numbers drawn for the record $550 million Powerball jackpot are: 5, 16, 22, 23, 29 and Powerball of 6. The numbers were drawn at 8 p.m. PT.
According to Powerball Wednesday about 10 p.m. Pacific Time, Missouri and Arizona already had jackpot winners.
California is one of six states in the continental U.S. that doesn't play Powerball, but for a chance at the second-largest payout in U.S. history, many people said the drive just might be worth it.
Demetrius Maxwell of San Bernardino said he was watching the 11 p.m. news Tuesday when he saw that the Powerball jackpot was so high.
"One of us said, 'Let's go,'" he said, so Maxwell and his friends took a motorcycle ride across the lower desert.
"A couple people ran out of gas, we had a few mishaps, but we made it here," said Stephanie Flagg of Fontana.
Powerball tickets were selling at a rate of 130,000 a minute nationwide, which means the jackpot could climb even higher before the Wednesday night drawing.
Paula Pippin of Hemet said even if she didn't win, the drive was still worth it.
"Are you kidding? I mean how often do you get a break from the office to go play Powerball?" she said.
The jackpot has already rolled over 16 consecutive times without a winner, but Powerball officials said there was a 75 percent chance the winning combination would be drawn this time.
There is talk by the California State Lottery Commission to hopefully bring Powerball to California. They will meet on Thursday, but they're not expecting a decision any time soon.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
lottery, national news, rob mcmillan
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found 55 min ago
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land 17 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video