Missouri Powerball jackpot winners revealed
DEARBORN, Mo. (KABC) -- The couple that won half of this week's $588 million Powerball lottery jackpot was introduced Friday at the high school where they became sweethearts in the 1970s.
Cindy and Mark Hill said they hope to stay true to their roots and live simply, despite winning one of the biggest lottery prizes in history. They have three grown sons and a 6-year-old daughter who was adopted from China five years ago.
"We will still be going down to the corner cafe for breakfast or fish day. I can guarantee you," Cindy Hill said. "You know it's just us. We're just normal human beings. We're as common as anybody. We just have a little bit more money."
The couple said they don't normally play the lottery. They spent $10 on five tickets with random numbers."We're still stunned by what's happened," said Cindy Hill, a former office manager who was laid off in 2010. "It's surreal."
After taxes, the Hills will take home a lump sum of $136.5 million. Mark Hill quit his job as a mechanic, while Cindy Hill said she has no plans to keep looking for work. They have no immediate plans to move out of their single-story ranch house on a quiet cul-de-sac.
"We want to say too that God blessed us with this. And for some reason, he put it in our hands, I think, to make sure that it goes to the right things," she said. "But we were blessed before we ever won this."
The other winning ticket, which was sold in Fountain Hills, Ariz., has not yet been claimed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
lottery, national news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 15 min ago
- Man shot to death in Boston bombing probe 34 min ago
- Bear roams around Shadow Hills neighborhood 21 min ago
- ABC7 relief drive for Okla. tornado victims
- Body positively identified as missing hiker 9 min ago
- Big rig, truck collide in Pomona; 2 killed
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- LA city attorney race: Mike Feuer wins
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- abcnews: Cleveland kidnap victims 'happy and safe' 50 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- PHOTOS: 'Dancing With The Stars' finale