Missouri Powerball jackpot winners revealed
DEARBORN, Mo. (KABC) -- The couple that won half of this week's $588 million Powerball lottery jackpot was introduced Friday at the high school where they became sweethearts in the 1970s.
Cindy and Mark Hill said they hope to stay true to their roots and live simply, despite winning one of the biggest lottery prizes in history. They have three grown sons and a 6-year-old daughter who was adopted from China five years ago.
"We will still be going down to the corner cafe for breakfast or fish day. I can guarantee you," Cindy Hill said. "You know it's just us. We're just normal human beings. We're as common as anybody. We just have a little bit more money."
The couple said they don't normally play the lottery. They spent $10 on five tickets with random numbers."We're still stunned by what's happened," said Cindy Hill, a former office manager who was laid off in 2010. "It's surreal."
After taxes, the Hills will take home a lump sum of $136.5 million. Mark Hill quit his job as a mechanic, while Cindy Hill said she has no plans to keep looking for work. They have no immediate plans to move out of their single-story ranch house on a quiet cul-de-sac.
"We want to say too that God blessed us with this. And for some reason, he put it in our hands, I think, to make sure that it goes to the right things," she said. "But we were blessed before we ever won this."
The other winning ticket, which was sold in Fountain Hills, Ariz., has not yet been claimed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
lottery, national news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 12 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- Cat rescued from 91 Fwy divider in Riverside 3 min ago
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Obama to preserve California federal lands 29 min ago
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video