Missouri Powerball jackpot winners revealed
DEARBORN, Mo. (KABC) -- The couple that won half of this week's $588 million Powerball lottery jackpot was introduced Friday at the high school where they became sweethearts in the 1970s.
Cindy and Mark Hill said they hope to stay true to their roots and live simply, despite winning one of the biggest lottery prizes in history. They have three grown sons and a 6-year-old daughter who was adopted from China five years ago.
"We will still be going down to the corner cafe for breakfast or fish day. I can guarantee you," Cindy Hill said. "You know it's just us. We're just normal human beings. We're as common as anybody. We just have a little bit more money."
The couple said they don't normally play the lottery. They spent $10 on five tickets with random numbers."We're still stunned by what's happened," said Cindy Hill, a former office manager who was laid off in 2010. "It's surreal."
After taxes, the Hills will take home a lump sum of $136.5 million. Mark Hill quit his job as a mechanic, while Cindy Hill said she has no plans to keep looking for work. They have no immediate plans to move out of their single-story ranch house on a quiet cul-de-sac.
"We want to say too that God blessed us with this. And for some reason, he put it in our hands, I think, to make sure that it goes to the right things," she said. "But we were blessed before we ever won this."
The other winning ticket, which was sold in Fountain Hills, Ariz., has not yet been claimed.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
lottery, national news
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Westlake High coach accused of sex with teen 11 min ago
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal 58 min ago
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour